Friday 22 February 2008

Juno


Having seen this movie I find I can't stop thinking about it. I had mixed feelings after seeing it as I’m not sure a 12A classification is right for it. I would not feel comfortable say taking a group of 13 year old girls to see it. But that said, I felt it was well made and thought-provoking with some the frank and very funny sexual references. Vaguely pro-life it was more graphic than I felt comfortable with, although the way the kids talk in the movie is probably pretty realistic for the US, and where they lead the UK usually follows unfortunately. In the initial stages of the film I thought Juno's unplanned pregnancy was treated very flippantly, and found the parents' reaction was hard to credit, but as the movie progressed the plot and characters thoughts and motivations become more fleshed out. I appreciated the fact that the teenage pregnancy and abortion clinic scenes were not glamorised. The ending was poignant. I was mostly saddened that so many teenagers today have the same attitude about sex as that portrayed in the movie. I meet a lot of unfulfilled kids who are looking to relationships to provide what they are lacking in their family life. In the film Juno is abandoned by her mum, and it seems like she has learned what she thinks is a good way to get at some form of love and attention from guys. Many girls today it seems have learned the same thing.

1 comment:

Roothie said...

Good review. Saw the film today. Points you make are v true.