Wednesday 27 February 2008

Random thoughts

I met an old friend and mentor from my college days this week for a meal and a chat. He has been a significant person in my life and education helping to form many of my views on a host of different topics. However now in his mid 50’s and despite a formidable teaching career in International and UK law he is very vexed about his future and the both hidden and open ageism he is seeing and experiencing for himself. The fact that he is also black may have something to do with what he is experiencing though he feels it is predominantly to do with his age and the cost of providing for his pension. As a result he is feeling increasingly isolated and rejected despite being a very bright, caring and experienced man.
On another front a number of friends and acquaintances of mine seem to be feeling under pressure from being single and Christian. It’s a feeling I know well myself and often makes itself felt around Valentine’s Day, Christmas time or when someone I know my own age gets married. I also find it interesting that according to the most recent demographics I’ve seen for the UK the number of single occupied households is very much on the rise and now rapidly approaching about 40% of all stock. If the trend continues then married couples will soon be in the minority. But again this leaves many people I know feeling isolated and questioning God’s love for them.
In my home town my church was very big on practicing hospitality perhaps because of the high proportion of students who worshipped there from the local university colleges. However since first coming to London about a year ago I can only think of one occasion when I have been offered hospitality by a person who I didn’t already know from my past in some way. It seems to me that we are perhaps in the big cities loosing the art of showing hospitality to strangers which any reading of the bible will show was considered very important in the ancient world.
In the mean time I offer below some words I read recently for those who may be feeling isolated or rejected.
“Do you feel as though God isn’t answering your prayers? Are you tempted to doubt His goodness? When I feel this way, I have to remind myself that my circumstances aren’t the barometer of God’s love and goodness – the cross is”.
Life and the devil may try to convince us that God doesn’t care for us but he has shown how much he does by dying on the cross for us. We can’t rely on our feelings - so get out there and practice some hospitality yourself!

1 comment:

Roothie said...

Some good thoughts there. It is tough to trust God I think when our thinking is not in line with what He knows is best for us. Trust is something which builds up over time, with God and with people we meet.

As for the hospitality thing, you've got me thinking on that....